Thursday, September 13, 2007

A taste of the working mom

So my boss begged me to come back for a three day stint art directing a cookbook photoshoot. It absolutely had to be done before my leave was up because all the gorgeous fresh produce is at the height of it's glory, yadda, yadda, yadda. Anyways, my mom volunteered to look after Olan so I agreed to do it. I was a leetle bit apprehensive since I agreed before any of this weaning business was even started and I couldn't imagine the craziness of a cookbook shoot with a baby attached to my boobs every three hours.

However, everything went SO well. The shoot happened this week, Mon. to Wed. and I had such a good time. I was working with a new photographer and she was awesome, total potty-mouth, wild and crazy gal. The chef/food stylist I had worked with before and I love him, none of this pretentious chef business with him. We ended up shooting in his restaurant which was great. I got to run around in the kitchen and see all the magic happen, it was like going through the polka dot door! Plus, the great thing about the cookbook shoots is all the food you get to eat! Oh, the lobster, the scallops, the lamb, the buffalo-milk mozzarella! I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that that man can cook! And we all know I can eat. Plus, I got to pack up little containers of stuff to take back to Olan and his Gran. He had his first taste of duck this week and quite enjoyed it :)

So as I'm flying along on this high of "being a working mom is so easy and wonderful" let me tell you, I know that that wasn't what it's going to be like. When I go back on October 1st, Olan won't be with the woman we trust with our baby above all others, I won't be running home at lunch for a quick cuddle, I won't be so busy running around like a crazy chicken that I won't have time to think about some little snotty-nosed kid poking Olan in the eye or making him feel bad, and it won't just be for three days... it will be for forever.... So before you say "buck-up and put a smile on your face and all that" I'm feeling better about things in general and it was a good idea to have this little taste.

Out of the hundreds of great photographs that were taken over the last three days, this is my favourite.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's an incredible photo. i want a copy. keeps getting cuter!
xox auntie mer

Jen said...

i can't believe you go back to work on the day that i'm leaving....we are truly- the next generation of cottage cousins.

Love you

alyson said...

He so pretty. I want a copy too.
Auntie Aly

Anonymous said...

He was the best baby ever to look after.